12.25.2008

Never too old

I suppose I thought it was another part of being an adult, losing the suprise factor of Christmas Day. I didn't mind so much, because adulthood means practicality in my mind. For example, I asked for winter boots for Christmas, but the snow comes before December, so Mom gave me boots for Thanksgiving. This is adult practicality. I got my Christmas present last month.

Now, stockings aren't included in this category, because with
Tony Thomas as Santa, you will always be surprised. This year:
Dr. Pepper LipSmackers...7th grade calling me back. Love it.

The recent trend has been gift cards and cash, both of which are welcome sights to teenagers. We spend money like it's going out of style, and these gifts keep us afloat. The giver might feel bad, like their gift is impersonal, but believe me, nothing screams "I love you" like a Visa Gift Card, valid anywhere Visa is accepted (which is everywhere).

So imagine my surprise when I open this on Christmas Day: the Olympus FE-340 (pictured below).

Red-hot, ultra-slim, 8 mega-
pixels, 5.0 optical zoom.
This is a sexy camera.

The idea didn't necessarily come out of left field; I'd asked for it for my birthday (along with a MacBook Pro and a hybrid car - the list wasn't entirely reasonable). When I didn't get it back in August, it slipped my mind. But my grandparents, the lovable Bob and Pinky, came through.

Thank you, Grandma and Grandpa, for letting me feel like a kid at Christmas. You've proved that you're never too old for a Christmas surprise.

3 comments:

Sara Beth said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sara Beth said...

Oh Maggie! Your writing is fantastic and you. I, for one, am utterly dependent on visa being accepted everywhere because credit card debt is my main alternative to welfare. Some might say it is a path to welfare, but that remains to be seen.

Much, much love!

Sara Beth said...

Also, I apologize for the deleted comment, but I couldn't leave a typo on your blog.