6.10.2008

Early-morning Existentialism

You know how some people get that "runner's high"?


I am definitely NOT one of those people.



I've been running for precisely 2 days (in a row) which required me to get up at 6 am this morning. It was freezing but I ran and the first, oh, 10 steps were absolutely exhilarating. After that it just sucked but I am convinced that this is a discipline that will not kill me - ergo it will make me stronger.

I was challenged this week to evaluate the activities I devote my time to. Most of them are things that come naturally to me: writing, reading, listening to music/singing in the car. I enjoy these things because I don't have to work at them - I'm already good at them.

But I was hard-pressed to find activities that are difficult for me, that I don't enjoy, that don't come naturally. It was a pretty short list: The Spanish language is the only one I could come up with. I chose to minor in Spanish after a bad classroom experience. I wasn't ready to give up on it. While it is challenging and downright frustrating at times, I know that ultimately, I will not regret choosing to work at it.

And now, after a great run in the forest preserve - shinsplints and sideaches included - I'm ready to add running to my list of challenges. It is an activity that does not come naturally, but I will be committed to it and develop discipline.

I think discipline is the stuff adults are made of.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so proud of you!! :) I miss our runs together from last summer... running is so much better with a friend! (Or at least some music might help...).

Holly said...

Maggie... I am supposed to run the 5K Milk Run @ the State Fair this year... I haven't started training.

Lindsay said...

Maybe you should try runninb barefoot... I just read an interesting article in the StarTrib about it....

Although the guy had nasty feet. I dont know how I feel about recommending that you crust your feet over with dead skin cells. I don't know if Jesse would approve.