6.23.2008

Great is Thy Faithfulness

Although I've just returned from an eventful weekend in Chicago, there are more pressing matters to process. Chicago will wait.

Last Wednesday, June 18th, my dad Tony and brother Jake survived a very serious canoe accident on the flooded Yellowstone River. The details are numerous and scary; I don't wish to recount them for the millionth time. Instead, I'll link you to the news article in Montana's Livingston Enterprise.

Here's what I'm left to sort through: Nothing bad ever happens with Dad. We've done many dangerous things together like hiking up steep muddy bluffs in the rain and getting an SUV stuck in a hole while treasure hunting (trespassing). But nothing terrible has ever happened. Dad is almost a security blanket. The man spent 2 years planning this trip - you can't tell me he wasn't prepared. They had plans, they had maps, they knew where to go and when to stop. But the river flooded, the currents strengthened, and the plans didn't matter. They were swept over the rapids anyways.

(At the risk of drawing an awful spiritual parallel here about how God's plans are mightier than man's, I'll avoid trying to make sense of this. I just want to talk it out.)

There are some things you don't ask a person, not even your own brother, but in those moments between knowing the water was cold and deciding it was too cold, I wonder at his thoughts. Was it a life-flashing-before-eyes experience? Did he feel peace or was the adrenaline coursing too fast? I don't know what it is to stare death in the face, to feel its chill and know its power, and to ultimately claim victory over it. But I know it is not the path of the feeble-minded. If I am certain of anything, it is that my baby brother is a man strong of heart and mind. He has a hand of blessing on his life I cannot comprehend, and I am confident he will live to earn this miracle. Jake doesn't waste anything but hot water - he won't waste this second chance.

I don't hear from God often, but I feel impressed so strongly that there is a reason Dad and Jake survived this accident. Now they've got to figure that out.

On a more practical note, the boys will take the next 3 weeks to explore all the old ghost towns in Montana and Wyoming on their way back home. This trip has altered, not ended. I am reminded of Robert Frost's comment: "In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on."

Praise God from whom all blessings flow.
Praise Him, all creatures here below.
Praise Him above, ye heavenly host.
Praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

He is so faithful. What an incredible, yet fragile, gift of life our Creator blesses us with - and what a responsibility we have to glorify Him for it! I continue to praise Him for the protection He gave to Jake and your dad... our God mighty and awesome.

Holly said...

Maggie- We actually heard about this straight from your mom the day after she got the call. I am so sorry I didn't call to see how you were doing with it. I give all the glory to God for surrounding them with his protection! We know that God has some incredible things in store for both Tony and Jake, he gave them a story to share! I love you so much!

Lindsay said...

Mags, i am so glad that everyting turned out ok. I cant wait to see how God is going to use your dad and Jake through all this! Love you girlie!