11.21.2010

i'm not that kind of girl

Let's get something straight: On the wide spectrum of femininity, I am more of a girly-girl than a tomboy. It's just that I'm just not that far left of center.

The most recent piece of evidence was submitted Friday. The church I grew up at hosts a women's Holiday Tea each November. The women of the church sign up to host and decorate a table, and a formal teatime is served. It is a pretty spectacular display of the feminine ingenuity of the women of that church, let me tell you. I haven't been in several years and it gets more elaborate each year. Last Friday, I was half-expecting a waterfall. Or two.

I definitely appreciated the event and the hosts who dedicated so much time to their tables. But as Mom and I surveyed all the tables with their place settings and fine china and knife rests (knife rests!), she asked me if I could see myself hosting something like that someday.

(There we are...yep, I look like my Mom.)

I was honest. I said no, thus fixing myself at the place where "painting our nails" meets "screaming at the football game on TV."

I am a girly-girl. I do enjoy attending holiday teas, and eating scones, and placing my soiled knife on my knife rest. I went shopping for a fancy dress this weekend and loved every second. I even curled my hair this afternoon.

It's just that I don't get a thrill from the prospect of owning fine china or hosting a formal tea someday. I guess a girl has to draw the line somewhere. I guess I'm more practical when it comes to dishes.

I discussed it with my Dad, who was the Tea's most adorable server. I said something like, "I enjoy this, but the elaborate business...it's just not me." To which he lovingly replied, "You're such a cynic...don't worry, you get that from me."

(Oh, the bow tie. And the teapot. Precious.)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

teapot may be precious but the bow tie . . . . not so much

Amanda said...

Maybe the distinction isn't so much girly-girl vs tomboy as it is formal vs informal? I think few people in our generation will ever own china or host teas... simply because we are so much less formal.

P.S. I love your family. :)

Lindsay said...

I, too, once thought i'd rather gag on a fork than throw a tea party. I hosted a table last year (tons of work...) but only because I had my own china that I got as gifts from my wedding.

Truth be told, I love it now. I am SO glad I have china. I even bring it out to use for dinner if I want to make Dustin feel special (he is an act of service guy and I have to hand wash all the dishes... it makes him feel loved...)

Totally fine to not be in to all that, just keep an open mind for the future. I never thought I would enjoy things like teas now.