4.08.2011

we fell in love and we're getting married, cont.

If you're just joining us, you should first read Parts I & II of this story. I'm very excited to have a terrific guest blogger join me: my handsome fiancé, Jonathan Keller.

Recap: We're on the 95th floor of the Hancock Center in Chicago. Maggie still hasn't figured out what's going on, and Jon is getting tense--it's time to ask a question!

Part III: The Proposal

On the other side of the lounge, Jon and I moved around tables of other seated parties, trying to get a good look at the lake and city lights. Standing near the back corner, Jon put his arm around me and thanked me for coming to Chicago to spend time with his friends. I still thought he was just being sweet, and I pointed out that his friends were becoming mine as well. I hadn’t really planned a speech. I needed to bring up the subject of, you know, asking Maggie to spend the rest of her life with me. Thankfully, she gave me a window by mentioning my friends.

Then Jon told me he had ulterior motives for inviting me to Chicago this weekend.

And suddenly, I knew. For sure and for certain, I knew.

He said he loved getting to know me the past 6 months, and in fact, he loved me! He told me he had invited our friends to join us this weekend. I thought, Oh they couldn’t make it, but that’s sweet he invited them! I named them one by one—they were waiting one floor below us! He told me we were here because he had a question to ask me. My eyes grew big, and I whispered, “Nooooo!” Jon grinned and said, “Oh, yes.”

Which is roughly when my brain detached from my body. Jon may have to correct the following details, because everything got a bit fuzzy for me. I was a little worried: if you know Maggie, she faints easily, and she hadn’t eaten much all day. Plus she had mono!

It was a bit surreal for me as well. This was a moment I had been waiting for my whole life. Perhaps movies or books had convinced me that time would slow down, that music would start playing, that this moment would somehow be more real. In reality it was a moment that passed like any other. Yet the joy in Maggie’s eyes and the relief in my heart were quite palpable. It was a moment that was very full. I wish I could have slowed it down to analyze it and find out how I felt about it, but all I could do was act.

He drew back, got down on one knee, and held a white ring box in his hand. From over my shoulder I heard a lady say, “Oh my gosh, he’s proposing!” Mercifully, Jon cut right to the chase: “Margaret Emma, will you marry me?”

To be honest, I was caught off guard. I had dreamed of this moment, wished it to happen, and even thought about what I would say. I wanted to be eloquent, gracious, ready with the perfect acceptance. Something like: “Yes, yes, a thousand times yes.” or “Yes. Yes today, yes tomorrow and the day after, yes every day for the rest of our lives.” I wanted the perfect response...that's the actress in me! Just in case you didn’t know: I’m going to marry a movie star!

I think I said 4 words: I, love, you, yes. Super eloquent. I was just glad she didn’t faint.

In whatever order my words came out, Jon understood what I meant. I leaned down, took the ring box, pulled him to his feet, wrapped my arms around his neck and kissed him real good. I asked him to put the ring on my finger, and as he did so, he explained—again, because I missed it the first time—that our friends were, indeed, waiting downstairs. “They’re all here,” Jon repeated, “Jake, Spencer & Marj, Laura, Amanda & Kyle, Dan, Drew & Alison, and Claire & Tyler sent a letter.” And that’s when I became more or less absurdly emotional.

Her tears started to swell earlier than this, but they definitely started flowing when she realized that all of these friends were here to celebrate with us. It took a while for it to sink in for me. I’m apparently not one of those people who gets flooded with relief. After she said yes, my body wasn’t ready to completely relax, but at least the tension wasn’t building anymore!


Remember back in Part I, when we explained how our community has been a foundation for us? They have been crucial in the development of our relationship – they introduced us! Both Jon and I were made for community: we thrive in it, prioritize it, and are blessed by it. Having our friends and loved ones there to celebrate made the difference between the perfect night and the best night of our lives. It moved me to tears that our friends loved us so much. This is how we roll.

Part IV: The Party

After I had a chance to stare at the bling on my finger (oh, it’s definitely bling), giggle ridiculously, and check with Jon to make sure I’d actually said yes out loud, we made our way downstairs to the welcoming surprise party. Hugs all around!
Dan had been stealthily wandering around upstairs with Spencer and Marj’s camera and a massive lens. Unfortunately, he was unaware of the ring box/wallet dilemma, so he wasn’t checking the area where we were. After we came back downstairs and everyone congratulated us, people started asking, “Where’s Dan?” He eventually found his way downstairs, too, but feigned annoyance: “Where WERE you guys?”

Dinner at the Signature Room was fantastic. Obviously, there were the lights of the city, Lake Michigan, and an elegant ambiance. In addition, we had spectacular wait-service although they were a little surprised that someone my age would order what we did: between the 11 of us, I made sure we ordered every appetizer, most of the entrees, and most of the desserts on the menu!
Most importantly, we had a chance to celebrate around the table. In lot of ways we were breaking bread like the disciples did with Jesus. Being able to enjoy a wonderful meal with close friends was a taste of heaven. For many of us, it was the best meal of our lives. So far.

During dinner, the calls and texts started flying. Jon texted practically everyone he knew to let them know I’d said yes. He even included a directive not to post anything on Facebook until we’d had a chance to tell our grandparents (oh, proposals in the 21st century!). I called my college roommates from the bathroom; we’d celebrated our graduation at the Signature Room nearly two years ago. Jon and I were anxious to share the good news! Over champagne toasts, dessert fireworks, and much laughter, our group celebrated life, love, and the God who makes it all possible.

We left the Hancock Center for the W Lakeshore to continue the party with more city views. A limo driver happened to be sitting outside the Hancock and offered to drive us!
Several people in our group had never been in a limo—Jon included—and this unexpected treat made the night all the more memorable! $5 a person...how could I say no?

At the W, we visited the Sky Lounge and the bouncers even ushered us into Altitude, the rotating rooftop banquet room with panoramic views of the city. We were the only ones in there, too, so it was pretty spectacular! I love the W, whether it’s Hollywood, Silicon Valley, Manhattan, Foshay Tower, City Center, or Lakeshore...they’ve always treated me well.

We wrapped up the night at The Living Room, the W’s main-floor lounge. I was fading fast, and we had a flight to catch the next morning. Our party dispersed and Jon and I caught the Metra back to Hyde Park. We were so absorbed in talking and dreaming about our wedding, we nearly missed our stop! Jon yelled, “This is it!” and dashed out of the train car, while I sprinted to catch up. I figured I could hold the door while Maggie caught up. I also didn’t want to be walking around an unfamiliar part of South Chicago at 1:30 AM on Sunday morning.

Sunday morning, we enjoyed brunch at Medici with Dan, Drew and Alison before our flight back to Minneapolis. Of the 36 hours we spent in Chicago, the final 16 as an engaged couple were the most surreal, the most full, the most rewarding. In the words of Rebecca Black, “We, we, we so excited!”

We are grateful to Dan and Janelle, Drew and Alison, Spencer and Marie, Kyle and Amanda, Laura, and Jake for celebrating with us in person and to the countless others who celebrated with us in spirit. We are grateful to our family for their support and blessing. We are grateful to our friends for praying for us. And we’re grateful to you all, for reading our story and being a part of our journey toward becoming one. The weekend went perfectly, and that is only by the grace of God. Thank you very much for your support and prayers.




And if you thought this story was good...

We are eagerly anticipating our wedding the evening of October 14th. We guarantee it will be the hottest party of the year, and we know it will be the new best night of our lives!











Special thanks and photo credit: Spencer and Marjorie Howell

9 comments:

[not the] Best Blog Ever said...

Aw, so fun! Great story. Congrats!

And now, if you please, we need a close-up shot of that BLING RING!! :)

Donna said...

What a romantic story, Miss Maggie!! God has truly blessed you with a wonderful young man with whom to walk through life. Congratulations! :)

Tina Ango said...

I really enjoyed reading this story, Maggie and Jon! A big congrats to you and I look forward to reading about Octoter 14.

Denise Lanthier Rubin said...

Thank you for sharing your love story! Part III made me cry. Jon is very special to us Maggie, and I know you will be too!

Sending love, hugs and many blessings to both of you!

P.S. I can't wait to meet you Maggie.
P.P.S. Congratulations to both of you!

Cousin Becky said...

Haha can't be any hotter then July right? Congrats again to you both! Friday, October 14th - got it marked down in my planner!

Deborah said...

Absolutely lovely!!! So happy for you! :) Praising God with you!

Dan Geoffrion said...

What an awesome story! Thanks for sharing. I'm glad to see that Jon is living out his Princeton heritage by wearing a bow tie.

Shelly Chrisman said...

Mags & Jon ... I'm so happy for you both. What an amazing story! I can't wait to see it unfold as you spend your lives together. I'm blessed to know the Thomas family and I am excited to meet the man who stole the heart of our very own movie star! Blessings to you both forever and ever and one more day!

Anonymous said...

be happy and love. kiss