8.18.2011

we actually did it.

Well, we pulled it off!

Yesterday 29 new students (and their parents, siblings, even a grandparent or two) moved onto campus as the newest class of our growing college. 1 more moves in this afternoon.

It was a blessed day. And it's been a crazy several months, weeks, and days leading up.

From scrubbing furniture to hanging pictures to setting up classrooms to organizing orientation schedules/folders/nametags it has been a constant stream of work for many months, growing ever-crazier by the day.

I am grateful, so overwhelmingly grateful, to be part of a team - this team - who loves God and loves students. It brings us to tears (quite literally - my boss choked up during Orientation) that parents would entrust their precious children to us to mold, disciple, shape, challenge and influence for 18 months. It is a weighty responsibility and a privilege. And I love my job.

A couple families pulled me aside yesterday and told me that I am the reason their child is at Rivendell. How humbling. How encouraging. And the truth is that this is so much more than a job for me; this is a calling. God has placed me here to help guide students through the process of transitioning to the next stage, to excellence, to better.

So thankful for a job that calls out my strengths and assembles a team that is strong where I'm not. So thankful for parents and students who are understanding, coworkers who are tireless and unflappable, and friends and family who are supportive -- even when I work 40 hours in 3 days.

Here's to our ever-growing "family" and all the richness therein.

Yep, therein.

2 comments:

Audrey Thomas said...

I have a few thoughts on your post.

First one: You're beginning to see the amount of trust parents must have in others when they leave their children in their care. I'll never forget our goodbye when we moved you to Wheaton your freshman year. You faced me, hands on both of my shoulders and said: "It's going to be okay, Mom. This is a safe place. This is where God wants me." That was a hard good-bye.

Next thought: Imagine the amount of trust in God it took for your dad and I when you answered an ad on the internet for a job in Nigeria. Whoa baby!

Final thought: Through the years parents pray for their children in different stages. When you were in college I prayed for your employment after graduation. I prayed that you would be able to use the gifts which God had put in you. It is so rewarding to see those prayers answered now as you bless others at Rivendell.

I am humbled by God's provisions and blessings. My prayer is that you will continue to bless those at Rivendell, both current and future students.

Love,
Mom

[not the] Best Blog Ever said...

Aw. Great post. Great comment from your mom.

Blessings to you!