8.25.2011

keeping it light

If one thing has come to light in the process of planning this wedding, it's that I am NOT a details girl. Not even hardly. You want that place card? No problem. Invitations should include that information? You got it. I should be here, at that time, meeting with that person? Sure thing.

Mi madre, on the other hand, is Queen of All Details. This event is of utmost importance to her. And as we've previously established, I'm more excited to be married than to get married. Which is why mom is an invaluable member of this team. Definitely more useful than me. And I am so grateful for her efficiency, her attention to detail, her organization, and her savvy negotiating.

She's also really fun to mess with. ("with which to mess"?)

It all started with the wedding website. There's a place to suggest songs for the dance, and the very first suggestion we got was from "Audrey Thomas." She suggested the song C'est la vie by Bob Seger and commented, "It really gets me moving." Turns out, my dad was the mastermind behind that one and wrote my Mom's name on the suggestion. Classic dad move. Hilarious.

Ten days ago, I forwarded Mom a proof of our wedding invite, as designed by the one and only Sean Rubin (Jon's best man/best friend). The copy read like this:

Mr. & Mrs. Anthony Thomas
request the honour of your presence
at the marriage of their daughter
Communications Director at Rivendell Sanctuary
and member of the Screen Actors' Guild
Margaret Emma
to
Jonathan McCrary Keller
CEO of MNY Group, LLC
and son of Rev. Dr. & Mrs. John Keller

Ooh, we got her good. She shared it with my dad, too, and at first blush, they figured it was a joke. They let it soak in a minute and then, so they tell me, shared a horrified exchange that went something like: "They're joking, right?" "What if they're serious?" "No, it has to be a joke." "Wait, but what if it's not?"

Oh we're so bad. So mean. Of course it was a joke. We would never. But it was hilarious.

And then today happened. Sean got her again. He designed everything for our invitations, including the insert cards. He sent us a proof today for a new one that read:

Make the Celebrations Stop!
Feel free to nap on your bar stool,
delirious from exhaustion
Chili's Express
MSP Airport, 5pm Saturday
RAIN OR SHINE
Hosted by Jeff Richmond-Moll and Sean Rubin
First person to arrive please claim a table.

It was hilarious, and what I've come to learn is a classic Sean move. Jon forwarded it to Mom, and we got her again. She now says she can hardly wait to meet Sean, as he seems like quite the jokester.

Sean, this is why we love you.
And Mom, this is how we show you we love you. Thanks for being such a gracious good sport! ;)

4 comments:

Skeller K said...

Sean is the best thing. I think we can all agree on this. Sean is the best thing.

Amanda said...

Haha, love it!

Audrey Thomas said...

The jokes have to stop cuz I need to be able to sleep at night!

Kelly @ Love Well said...

Oh my WORD, Maggie. This made me laugh. I am so glad I followed the link to your blog tonight.

When I was getting married, approximately three eons ago, my Mom was secretly worried that my fiance worked for a company owned by the mafia. When Corey caught wind of this, he nonchalantly asked if he could use our phone one day to place a call. "It's to Sicily, but I'll pay you back as soon as you get your long distance bill."

Her eyes got about a MILE WIDE behind his back. And then she realized he was joking. And then she hit him with he kitchen towel.

We've often said: Smack talk is our family's love language.