7.02.2008

Accomplishments

Welcome to Internship Heaven, where meetings are not boring, where people thank you for your hard work and assure you of a job well done, where you complete a 699-page proofreading project 6 days before deadline. Welcome to the Best Day Ever.

I've had galleys for an omnibus (4 books in one) of Janette Oke's Seasons of the Heart series on my desk since June 17th, due July 8th. It was a massive brick of blue paper 7 inches high. And after logging an estimated 20+ hours poring over pages (and pages and pages and pages), I finished my first official proofread today.

Granted, it wasn't the most difficult of manuscripts - these 4 books were published years ago and edited many times before going to print - but it's been a while and times have changed. I managed to catch quite a few errors, of which I'm quite proud, including some glaring misspellings and even a politically incorrect phrase. Nota bene: It is no longer appropriate to print the phrase "gypped out" because that is derogatory towards ethnic Gypsies.

I've also been given a new project evaluating proofread manuscripts. It feels so great to have control over this project, so to speak - to set the parameters, establish a system, and weigh the practical value of the project. I'm glad they've entrusted it to me and I'm getting a lot of satisfaction from completing each manuscript.

Today I also sat down for a meeting with Dave, Vice President of Something-Something Fiction (editorial acquisitions, maybe? I can't remember). He encouraged me that I'm doing well as an intern and am actually contributing to the work of the company. Everyone loves a pat on the back, and today was simply glorious.

Unpaid or not, I'm loving this internship.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sweetie - I knew when you were in the 2nd grade you had the gift of being able to craft words. As long as you're working somewhere using your God-given talents, you'll be contributing to someone, somewhere. Thanks for enriching my life with your writing - I love your style. Keep up the great work!