3.06.2011

on being in D.C.

The last time I'd been in D.C. was ten years ago.

Ten years.

That's a long time ago. As in, pre-9/11 long time ago. As in, the last time I was in D.C., I was in 8th grade, had a penchant for graphic tees, and thought my blunt-cut bangs were the height of fashion. As it turns out, bold fringes are back in a big way. Ironic.

I was pretty excited to get back to D.C. in my adult body. To see things with adult eyes. To spend time with Jon, his sister, and his friends, who are all quickly becoming my friends, too. (I'm pretty sure he doesn't mind sharing.)

Recommended: renting bikes from Capital Bikeshare. We biked along the Rock Creek Park trail, around the monuments and the Mall.

We stopped in at the Air and Space Museum and the Museum of American History. We tried to see the White House but somebody was coming home, so it was blocked off. We cooked dinner all together, ate cupcakes, watched some Duke/UNC basketball, laughed at SNL, and went to Capitol Baptist Church Sunday morning.

That? That is real life with friends. Though not representative of everyday life nor sustainable in any sense, this weekend was a ton of quality time with quality people. I'm feeling extra blessed this morning.

P.S. Note the absence of graphic tees, FBI sweatshirts, and glasses. Growing up is awesome.

1 comment:

Brandon H said...

Wow... nostalgia galore for me here! J and I coulda given you the names of some great places to eat! Looks like you had a good time though. We hope to go back w/ the boys and revisit our favorite places sometime in the not-too-distant future.