3.03.2011

on what makes us adults

This will be brief. I really should be packing (this weekend: D.C.!).

It won't take long to steal someone else's words and post them here for our mutual benefit.

In the past six weeks, there have been a number of events that I would ordinarily classify as "adult things." A slew of things come to your mind when I say that, right? Things like divorce, job loss, unexpected death, miscarriage, terminal illness, foreclosure, infidelity, depression, existential crises, addictions, etc. etc.

I've seen so many of those kinds of things occur in the lives of my friends and loved ones in the past six weeks, and frankly, it makes me want to throw my hands up and walk away. Following yet another tragic loss a few weeks ago, I asked Jon how we were even remotely old enough for all this. His response?

"This is how someone becomes old."

He's got a point. This is what makes us old. And wise. And tougher than the tough stuff life throws at us.

I just wish it was more of an easier process, and less of a trial by fire.

No comments: