10.21.2010

forward motion

Last week, Ashley asked if I wanted to do the Reindeer Run 5K with her and Kathryn.

The more I thought about it, the more it sounded like a great idea.

Just yesterday, I determined that if I actually want to do it, I should probably move my butt between now and December 4th.

So I ran. A little. More like jogging. But I did it here:
And here:
Hyland Lake Park Reserve is my favorite place in the world to run. I love that it's a mile from my house. I love that I can choose dirt or paved trails. I love that I know my favorite loop inside out. I love that my memories of this place go clear back to childhood, playing at the park formerly known as Chutes & Ladders, and losing my sunglasses in the lake while paddle-boating with my Mom and brother, and the summer of 2007 running with Amanda Twistol just weeks before she became Amanda Prihoda.

(uh, PS, those photos aren't mine. Just sayin'.)

Right. So back to yesterday. I purposely left my iPod at home. It was just me, the 50F wind, the sunset, and God.

It was glorious.

I forgot how much I love being outside. And being outside in autumn. And maybe even that burning in my lungs reminding me that I am alive.

I did couple loops, didn't push too hard, just enjoyed the weather. And 4.2 miles of forward motion later, I was home again, absolutely invigorated and thinking "Again! Again! Again!"

Then I saw that the forecast for next Thursday reads "Rain/Snow Showers."

Ugh. Fall, why do you have to leave me so soon?!

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Love this. :) I wish we lived close enough to run together still - that was a glorious summer. :) I also love Hyland and have such a variety of memories there... our runs/bikes together, getting lost there when I was like 5, doing cross country practice/races there, and now I get to bring J there! So fun. Keep up the running, love... I'm proud of you!