10.01.2010

Nigeria, get it together.

Today is the 50th anniversary of Nigeria's independence from Great Britain.
A friend emailed this morning to tell me of 2 car bombs that exploded in Abuja around 11am local time (5am CST). They happened near Eagle Square - a place I know, a place I could easily get to in a taxi.

Do you know what happened to me this morning at 5am? I was startled awake. Seriously, I was. If you knew how hard I sleep, you would understand that it was probably not coincidental.

Nigeria, you're killing me.

There are tears in my eyes as I read news reports and accounts. BBC said the first car bomb drew first-responders to the area, and 5 minutes later, the second bomb exploded.

Nigeria, what are you doing?

Today I proudly wear Nigerian traditional clothes, delighted in the strides made in the last 50 years, blessed to have spent a year of my own life there, grateful that I will always feel at home among her beautiful people.

But today I mourn the foolishness, the selfishness, the greed. I mourn that a celebration which could have united a people religiously and politically divided fell short of that goal.

And selfishly, I mourn that I am not there to rejoice with those who rejoice and grieve with those who grieve.

Nigeria, am missing you today ooo.

No comments: