7.15.2010

funemployment

There is no such thing as funemployment.

Being unemployed is not fun. It feels wrong on a cosmic level. As in, I have a brain, two hands and two feet, and a winning smile...I should be working!

I mean, maybe one would enjoy waking up after 9am, doing some dishes & laundry, going for a run, reading, and spending time with friends. And I would admit, those are all really wonderful things in moderation.

The fact that this is the soundtrack of my life right now is not glamorous. Or exciting. Or luxurious. And definitely not fun.

My aversion to unemployment runs deep. This is the first time I've been without a job (or fulltime school) since 8th grade. I've been working in some capacity for 10 years! And I do not like not working! It makes me feel purposeless and unproductive.

However, being unemployed gives me the freedom to do the things I want to do, and what I want to do is invest in people. And I get to do a lot of that right now.

coloring with my favorite little guy
(courtesy Amanda P.)

celebrating important moments
(courtesy Meredith M.)

So as disorienting as being out of work is, I'm grateful for this time to pour my energies into the people I love.

And go on interviews. I'm doing a lot of that, too.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

I just love that picture. :) And I'm so glad you are in the same country as us, and have the time to invest in us. I'm praying for you to find the right job in God's timing, love!

[not the] Best Blog Ever said...

Hang in there! Praying...