7.08.2010

when my childhood resurfaces


This is the face of a woman who has just hit rock bottom.

For her sake, I hope this is the worst it gets.

In case you live in a cave, or don't own a TV, or don't regularly follow the court proceedings of Los Angeles, let me fill you in: Lindsay Lohan was just sentenced to 90 days in prison for probation-related offenses. Her rap sheet includes numerous car accidents, drunk driving, and drug abuse.

The Lindsay Lohan pictured above is a stranger to me. This is the Lindsay Lohan I knew, the one I remember:


My relationship with Lindsay was certainly strange. It was weighted down with all the implications of childhood, and acting, and growing up too fast. We first met during the screen testing process for Parent Trap (see above).

I suppose I saw her as some kind of novelty. I'd never met an 11-year-old who could demand money from her parents and actually get it.

After screen testing in June, Lindsay was cast as the dual lead, and I called her at her home in Long Island to congratulate her. She began filming that summer, and I caught up with her in September for my filming segment.

I suppose I saw her then as someone already bewitched by Hollywood. She didn't interact with me except on camera. She had her own set teacher, her own trailer, her own schedule. I wasn't jealous. I just didn't know who she was; maybe I hadn't ever.

My family and I followed Lindsay on her road to stardom, and back down again. With every TMZ report, every news feature, every Google image hit, I've hoped that Lindsay would take stock of her life before she ran out of options.

Methinks the next 90 days will be time enough for stock-taking.

In the meantime, I'll remember better days. And pray she finds what she's looking for.


1 comment:

Donna said...

I thought about you last night when I saw the story on the ABC news. What a shame to see yet another child actor lose sight of real life and sink into Hollywood's dark underbelly.

Personally, I believe it happens to a lot of them because they aren't surrounded by family and friends; they have no real support network. Success can make one very lonely, and that is when one will turn to other means to forget the loneliness. It is just so sad to see.