7.21.2010

lessons learned

I'm learning some really important things about myself in this time of joblessness (also called funemployment). Which is why I'm choosing to not only endure, but to thrive on this season. There are lessons to be learned here. If I'm too busy craning my neck, waiting for my train to come in, I'm going to miss something crucial.

1. I am probably not suit-and-tie material. I could be coerced, convinced, or transformed to be that, but it's not my preference. And I'm not just talking fashion here. I'm talking about the whole philosophy behind corporate. As much as I may dream about being a yuppy, it's not in my nature.

2. The type of writing I desire is not hard-hitting sales writing. I am creative person, but I'm a people person, too. I don't want to write anything if it can't make a difference in someone else's life...and selling them a product doesn't quite equal "making a difference."

3. I want to work for something I can get behind--something bigger than me. I never want to apologize for what I do or who I work for. I never want to be embarrassed to be associated with a particular organization. Which is great on one hand, because it means that I'm going to be an invested employee. It's also not so great, because it means that my employer has to actually stand for something. Something other than profit.

4. Searching for a first job is not the time to cling to ideals. Regardless of lessons 1-3, I need to learn this one thoroughly. The job I take will likely not be the job I keep until I retire, and that's okay. I can do anything for a year (see: previous 10 months). I can be suit-and-tie, I can write with a sales bent, and I can work for a corporation who is only interested in stock market success. I can do that. And I will. Because the most important lesson I've learned in the last month is this:

5. I will do what I have to do today so that one day I can do what I want to do.

2 comments:

Shelly Chrisman said...

You are one smart cookie and I'm proud to call you my friend.

Natalie said...

you got it lady