7.19.2010

an open letter to CareerBuilder.com

Dear CareerBuilder,

I've been coming to you for advice and recommendations for a good year and a half now. You're straightforward and easy-to-use and I appreciate that. You even send me recommendations every Monday, which is very proactive.

But after reading today's recommendations email, do you know what I realized?

You don't know me at all. This whole relationship is a sham, and no amount of advanced searching is going to correct the image of me you've built up in your head.

It's not just the recommendations; oh, no. It's also your name. Your name is misleading. Am I the builder of my career? Are you giving me the building blocks with which to build my career? Are you the builder? If you are the builder, we need to talk because I think you're trying to build me a career in education, based out of Boston, with the option for up to 50% travel.

What kind of entry-level educator travels up to half the time?!

So, my dear CareerBuilder, today I am frustrated with you. I narrowed my search terms and got you down to 15 pages of jobs in Minnesota with the keywords "writing" and "communications." We're getting there.

I'll stick around and hope something good comes along, but the small voice in my head reminds me that only 3% of positions hired are a result of online job boards. It's not looking good, CareerBuilder.

Love,
Maggie

2 comments:

Brandon H said...

FWIW i've had much more luck w/ Monster than CareerBuilder throughout my career...

good luck!

Shelly Chrisman said...

You crack me up and am so thankful for you and your ability to teach me through your posts!