7.26.2010

goalsetting

Today's pennyworth wisdom: Know what you want out of life.

If for no other reason but that someday an important person on the other side of a mahogany desk may just ask you, Where do you see yourself in 5 years? or What's your ideal career path--where do you want to end up?

I've been thinking a lot about this very concept, and even though this might not be my go-to answer in an interview, this is really what I want my life to look like in the next few years:

1. I want to get a full-time job. Something with benefits. Doesn't have to rock my world. Does need to be steady income.
2. I want to get my own place. I'm content renting. A studio is fine. And I think I want to live alone.
3. After those two things happen, I think I'll get a Netflix subscription or maybe a puppy. I've always wanted a yellow lab. Okay, maybe not in a studio apartment, but I can dream.
4. I want to find my passion. I hope it will be a cross between writing and bettering mankind, but I don't want to set the bar too high.

Wait a minute, you know what? It's my passion. My dreams. I don't think the bar can be too high there. I mean, it's not like I'm hoping to become a pop star. It's writing to change lives. Still within the realm of possibility. Maybe we'll classify it under "high hopes."

If there was a number 5, it would be optional. But if this was a theoretical universe where 5 did exist, number 5 would be a man. As it is, 5 is optional. Because #1-4 are definitely possible without the theoretical number 5.

Check that: I just discussed my job search, my life goals, and my relationship status in the same post. I'm getting good at this.

No comments: