8.15.2010

i've got friends in many places

Part of the fun of having overseas experience is that you now have friends all over the world. While my travels may never take me to all the places my friends (and students) have spread out to, it's nice to know that I could theoretically throw a dart at a map and land on a country that's home to a friendly face.

It's especially nice when I can see friends again and know that the miles that separate us are just that: miles. Miles that can be traveled and traversed and ultimately, reduced.

A good friend of mine from Nigeria volunteered to bring back my 3rd suitcase and I retrieved it with a weekend trip to Indiana. My favorite part was the 20 mile bike ride up Lakeshore Drive during Chicago's air and water show.

Being that I was practically in the neighborhood, I also stopped in at Life Church this morning for a sweet sweet reunion. After being away for almost a year, it was a precious reminder of how the body of Christ feels a lot like family.

Old friends, new friends, British friends, American friends, church friends, international friends. Selfless friends, supportive friends, hospitable friends, encouraging friends. Phone-a-friend, too...the drive through Wisconsin gets long, you guys; somebody's got to get you through it.

Friendship has to be the most practical, tangible way that we can be Christ to each other. There was a whole lot of Christ-being going on this weekend and I am the overwhelmed, humbled recipient.

No comments: