8.31.2010

you're killin' me, smalls

I miss my students. (I can't bring myself to say "former;" they'll always be mine.)

According to my Facebook wall, they miss me, too. They have a new Literature teacher and I'm getting mixed reviews from the kids. I'm so grateful that someone has come to take my place and I know they will learn from him just like they learned from me. It's just hard for me to hear them say "I really miss you" and "Please come back."

It's hard for two reasons: One, because I can't come back. They have a new teacher from whom they will learn much. And I have an amazing job I know I'm supposed to be at.
Two, because we're all wearing rose-colored glasses. I know that if I went back I would have tough days and so would they. We would get frustrated with each other and I would lose my mind.

But secretly? I'm glad they miss me. It means that for all my failings as a first-year teacher, for all the mistakes I made, what they carry with them are good memories. And sure, they remember those times I got all red-faced and upset. But those memories are outweighed by whatever I accidentally did right.

So as much as it kills me to hear them beg me to come back, I'm glad we have such great memories from our year together. I, for one, will never forget that.




No comments: