8.23.2010

oh the youth

Can we talk about being the young one? About being the new kid on the block? About changing your hair style and color to give the impression that you are not, in fact, twelve years old?

Welcome to my life.

I mean, okay, I guess I'm a bit youthful. No harm in that. I guess. Except when your face breaks out like a hormonal teenager.

It started last year when I was a high school teacher. And I looked no older than my students. Seriously, pictures of me with my 9th, 10th, 11th, and 12th grade students is like playing Where's Waldo with Miss Maggie. Which one is she? Where's the one who's not a teenager? I can't tell.

In the background, I hear singsong voices reminding me that this is good, that when I am 40, I will appreciate looking young. Except for this face breakout thing. That has got to go.

Now that I'm a member of a professional higher education team, I feel the need to prove myself even more. Although I may look young, I am, in fact, an adult with insights and suggestions. Also there's the constant reminder that some of our students are older than me. (Not that again.)

Let it be noted that my coworkers are truly amazing at validating my contributions to the team. I am sought out, listened to, and respected. I am taken seriously. And all that just might contribute to why I love coming into work in the morning.

But for. the. love. I just want to look like the 23 years I claim. There's only so times I can wear wrap dresses and pearls before I start channeling June Cleaver.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

I totally sympathize. Starting at the county at age 20, when the median age was about 55... I felt totally out of place. And I felt like I needed to wear mom-ish clothes in order to look older. At least you're going for cute clothes. :) The biggest thing I learned as the young one was that most 50+ year olds at work didn't want to e-mail with me... they wanted to talk in person, or on the phone. Imagine that. :)

Deborah said...

I got kicked out of my Middle School my first year. It made me laugh...and I have looking-old-enough people in my family that I was able to appreciate it, knowing it wouldn't last long. :)