9.05.2010

confessions of an english major

I used to read.

As a child, I believe I earned the adjective "voracious;" I was once grounded from reading for 24 hours. (The punishment fit the crime: I was caught reading squinting by the light of my night-light.) Those 24 hours were unbearable!

Sadly, I am no longer that way. Now, I write...a lot. Which is great. But I write instead of reading. Which is less great. I feel like I'm missing a vital part of the equation.

Blame it on college literature classes or a busy schedule; any excuse is a cop-out. The fact is that I used to love to read and I've lost that love. It's time to get it back.

Here is the spread of what I'm reading and wanting to read. There are an additional 30-something books on that little white Kindle down in the corner. I've started 7 books in the past 6 months. It's time to finish them.

I am resolved--I can do this. I don't even know if I'm the kind who can read more than one book at a time, but I'm going to find out.

Updates of the reading endeavor to follow, as well as reviews of the books I finish.

1 comment:

Lindsay said...

I am in need of some good reading. But now that i'm starting a graduate program later this month... who knows if i'll have time for what I WANT to read. Strike that- if i'm signing up for a grad program, hopefully I already want to read what I will be reading :-)